Saturday, November 14, 2009

Aaron Cohen: Slave Hunter


Listening to: The dishwasher and Washing machine (why isn't it a clotheswasher?)

Wishing for: My book report not to be due Monday

Knowing that: I gotta do it anyway.


Hello again everyone.

I am a very happy person, and you know why? Yesterday I got to meet one of my heroes. He is an abolitionist who fights against Human Trafficking (slavery) which is the fastest growing illegal trade in the world; bringing in $9,000,000,000 annually.

Allow me to introduce you all to Aaron Cohen, Slave Hunter.

Huh?

What do I mean by slave hunter? What I mean, is this man travels to different countries (like Cambodia and Burma) and with the aid of local authorities, frees hundreds of children from the horror that is sexual slavery. Most of these children are younger than sixteen; some as young as six. They are held captive in nasty, filthy brothels under the control of pimps and madames who care for nothing but making money. He poses as a sex tourist (and unfortunately, there are way more than you would imagine) and obtains evidence enough to convict the brothel owners and free the girls.


Aaron Cohen is amazing, and such an inspiration to me because he is doing what I want to do, and what I will be attending college next year to prepare myself for.

I encourage everyone to read his new book: Slave Hunter. I warn you ahead of time however, this is not a light read, nor a fun one. It is a raw and gritty book that exposes the dark underbelly of human society. Still, everyone should read it, because everyone should know.

Girls should not be forced to sell themselves to men three times their age, day after day for soulless extortionists.

I also encourage you all to check out this website: www.abolishslavery.org and get involved.

You can also follow Aaron on twitter at www.twitter.com/aaroncohen777

There you are. I hope I've enlightened.

As always,
cheers.

<3 Jo

1 comment:

  1. thank you for the enlightment. i saw something like this on Oprah once. It may have been Aaron that was pretending to be a "customer"...a father was selling his 8 year old son at night. it was horrible. but this was in some poor country in Europe. it was so horrible and disturbing. i hope you succeed in what you want to become to help stop this...i can't stand it as much as you can't.

    www.jemappelles-christa.com

    ReplyDelete